Thursday, February 1, 2018

Product Review: Galaxy Notions Electric Seam Ripper

No one likes to rip out stitches.  I mean, not that any of us ever do *WINK*.  But yeah...ripping out stitches is like insult to injury.  Already annoying to mess up, double annoying to pick out stitches.  So Galaxy Notions thought it might be cool to expedite that process with an electric seam ripper.  Naturally, I scoffed because those damn kids just make everything electric nowadays (and won't get off my lawn).  BUT IT'S ELECTRIC AND SHINY AND PURPLE AND SPEEDY SO I HAD TO TRY IT.  Natch.

Specs

  • Small, hand held trimmer about 5" long
  • 1 AA battery
  • Prices vary - $19.99-$24.99 

Pros

  • Small, so would fit easily in most sewing kits for home or classes
  • Strong battery life
  • Does take out seams quickly
Cons
  • It's basically a travel size hair trimmer.  Wahl, the hair trimmer company, makes the same thing, and for less
  • Unless you have a seam with lots of threads (backstitching or serger seams) this isn't really THAT much of a timesaver if you know the tricks with a regular seam ripper. 
Conclusion
★★★☆☆
Not a bad little piece of equipment if you're into gizmos.  I'm not a gizmo girl so this isn't my cuppa, hence three stars.  But if you like gizmos, then this is a good one to look into

1 comment:

  1. Yep, one of the well-known quilt teachers/designers (though her name escapes me) used to sell the Wahl's clippers and I bought one and LOVED it for clipping a lot of stitches. But no clue where it got off to..need another.

    ReplyDelete

Leave your questions, comments, criticisms, and thoughts here. I would love to hear what you think and what's under your needle!

Criticism will stay civil and constructive. Any nasty comments will be removed.