Thursday, February 8, 2018

Product Review: Hamilton Beach Durathon Nonstick Iron

After blowing through TWO Rowenta irons in 2017, I decided to change it up and try a different brand.  Problem?  I am iron picky because of course I am.  Really, the issue is that most of the irons within the budget I am willing to allot for an iron are annoyingly light.  I like irons to have some heft to them.  It doesn't need to be cast iron or anything, but I like it to feel like it actually has the weight for a decent press.  Bought a Sunbeam. Decent iron, but light AF.  The the iron died at the shop and was replaced with a Hamilton Beach.  

Hamilton Beach.  I think my food processor is from them.  

But I liked it enough after using it at the shop that I bought one to replace my Rowenta.  


Specs
  • Steam/no steam
  • 10oz tank
  • Electronic controls
  • Retractable cord
  • Non-stick plate
  • Self-cleaning
  • Anti-drip
  • $39.99 at Bed, Bath and Beyond
Pros
  • Has a good weight to it.  
  • Retractable cord is nice to prevent tripping hazards
  • Heats quickly and uniformly
Cons
  • On the steam on setting, it depletes the water supply quickly whether actively in use or not; if it's sitting on, then it is depleting water.  I have to refill this sucker a LOT because I use steam all the time.
  • Despite the anti-drip...it drips some.  But it's not consistent, so it might just be MY iron and not a universal issue.  
Conclusion
★★★☆☆
Really, more like three and a half.  The only real detractor for me here is how fast the water tank depletes.  Some of my cheaper irons with smaller tanks had their supply last longer.  But this is a good, solid iron and the price point I think is appropriate for what you're getting.  If this iron lasts longer than the Rowentas did, I might bump it to four stars, but longevity remains to be seen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your questions, comments, criticisms, and thoughts here. I would love to hear what you think and what's under your needle!

Criticism will stay civil and constructive. Any nasty comments will be removed.