Thursday, February 22, 2018

Product Review: Karen Kay Buckley's Perfect Scissors (Small Size)

Little scissors are a sewing bag need.  I have several grab and go sewing bags and all of them have little scissors. The small ones were a gift to me, and they were intriguing.  I had heard of Karen Kay Buckley's Perfect Scissors from some other quilters, but never tried them until I had some gifted to me.  They're definitely unique!

Specs
  • The small ones are 4", but there are several size options
  • Rubberized handles
  • Serrated blades
  • $20.99
Pros
  • The serrated blades are extremely fine and grip small pieces of fabric SO WELL.   These are amazing for cutting out appliques, especially small ones that get squirrelly when cut with smooth bladed scissors.
  • Cuts cleanly with no pinking effect from the serration. 
  • They keep their edge really well.  I have had mine for 4-5 years and they're still as sharp as day 1.
  • Very lightweight
Cons
  • Handles are not reinforced.  Those handles are AWFUL.  There is no support in the rubber whatsoever beyond where the metal scissor component is affixed at the bottom of the handles.  If you're cutting something a little but stiff (like a couple layers in a fused applique), they just give out and you can't get any force into the cut at all. Maybe the larger ones have more reinforcement, but these little guys don't. 
  • The handles are formed in such a way that they slide up your fingers as you cut which is ergonomically weird.
  • I think the price point is a little high for a 4" scissor. 
Conclusion
★★★★☆
I would love these in the larger sizes because that serration is incredible.  I still think the price point is a little high on the smaller sizes, but I suppose that's due to the serration; I probably wouldn't buy them on a whim without having tried them first.  But I love these little scissors.  You wouldn't think that little bit of grip while cutting appliques would make such a difference, but it really, really does.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your questions, comments, criticisms, and thoughts here. I would love to hear what you think and what's under your needle!

Criticism will stay civil and constructive. Any nasty comments will be removed.