Sunday, January 21, 2018

Weekends like this are why embroidery is still a thing.

What. A. Weekend.  

I wish that statement was resultant of a tiring and fun/happy weekend, but lort, it is not.  

We made it a record four months without an ER visit.  That is a record, at least for the past 2-3 years.  It concerns me just a bit that one of the ER nurses I made eye contact with had that look on her face for just a moment like she knew us, but couldn't place us.  Shit like that really shows A.) that the nurses are ON POINT with the people that come through there, and B.) we have clearly been there too often.  

So, to make a longish story shortish, Mom broke her hip.  We made it from the shop to their house in record time, even before the ambulance, and ran to the ER.  X-Ray and CT scan revealed a clean break in the joint area.  

Go Big or Go Home: The Femur Edition

It was a six-ish hour stay in the ER before the moved her up to a room.  Pain management was a critical thing.  I think this has replaced childbirth and pancreatitis both as most painful experiences.  Apparently this one has taken the cake there...that's a cake no one wants.  

But if I learned anything from my time in the Girl Scouts (hey, I was solely in it for access to those cookies.  Not kidding) it is to always be prepared.  Yes, I always have something to stitch on with m, either on my person or in may car for these WHAT IF I GET STUCK SOMEWHERE AND NEED SOMETHING TO DO?!?!? situations.  I am a master of coming up with What If scenarios, so yeah...I always have something. 


This time, it is Hocuspocusville, from Crabapple Hill.  I am relatively new to embroidery, but despite hating handwork in general, I enjoy embroidery.  I guess I can't say I hate it anymore, huh.  Willingly tolerate and occasionally seek out?  Sure.  

Here's a pro-tip: If you ever find yourself in the ER, not as a patient hopefully but as someone accompanying the patient, this light is amazing.  I have no idea what it's for, and I am quite sure we were supposed to not touch it, but it is amazing at giving you light while not impacting the brightness of the room while your patient has the lights out because of having a banging migraine on top of a broken bone (Mom seriously had the SHITTIEST weekend).  It didn't illuminate the room AT. ALL.  Only where it was pointed, and that was it.  I suppose it would violate my lease if I installed one of these over my side of the sofa in the living room.  I also suppose Ikea doesn't have a reasonable imitation, either.  


But for several hours of the stay last night and the stay today, this is all the nursing staff saw from my corner of the room.  That is, except when they came in to do bloodwork or whatever.  I watch them like a hawk.  John got sneaky and snapped a pic.  Note the light output on my fabric.  Hella. Light.  


So the most important thing here?  Mom is fine, and will be fine.  She went into surgery today, had a few screws put in, was out in an an hour, and is on the way to recovery.  She still has some pretty high levels of pain - I mean, she just had SCREWS put int her BROKEN BONE.  Like I said, she had the shittiest weekend.  But she is already slinging a little sass this evening when her pain isn't too bad (yay for pain management), so that's always a good sign.  

I want to publicly thank all of our friends and shop customers who have been sending us kind words and thoughts.  The last year has been overly rife with hospital visits for my (and my family's) taste, so having such a wonderful network of people who understand and care is awesome.  Thank you. 


4 comments:

  1. Oh I hope your mother's pain can get under control soon. I feel so bad for her. Listing her pain up there with pancreatitis and childbirth really puts it in perspective.

    I noticed your pattern right off. I purchased Hocuspocusville years ago. I love houses SO MUCH! I think I am glad I waited because now I want to try the crayon coloring thing with it. Well, maybe. We will see.

    I too keep handwork available at all times. I thought I was taking my husband to the hospital last week so I packed all of my handwork first thing. When he goes in it is generally for a week or two. Luckily we didn't go.

    The way I figure it, handwork needs to be saved for those times when you can't get to your machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Yes, thankfully her pain has lessened. She is still on some pain management, but is at least home as of this afternoon. Glad your husband didn't have to pay the hospital a visit.
      Eve with stitchery it is a stresful place to be.
      Hocuspocusville is one I have had sitting in my pattern box for a looooong time and I never whipped it out until recently. I have the witch boot pattern by her, and I want to do the crayons on that one! I'm too late for this one lol.

      Delete
  2. Good thing you had ample embroidery for your ER visit. You were in the ER longer with your mom than I was when I had my gallbladder removed including the 2 hour round trip drive. I love to embroider too and I have been admiring the Hocus Pocus pattern, but I already have too many Halloween quilts--it is my favorite holiday! I can't stand thimbles either and usually will resort to bandaid if I absolutely have to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad your mother is doing better. Even though there's no reason to think I'll be at the ER again anytime soon, I try to keep a project handy. It's so much better to have one you don't need than it is to be sitting with empty hands and nothing to help ease the stress.

    ReplyDelete

Leave your questions, comments, criticisms, and thoughts here. I would love to hear what you think and what's under your needle!

Criticism will stay civil and constructive. Any nasty comments will be removed.