Thursday, January 11, 2018

Product Review, Web Bond TA 101 Spray Adhesive

Just about everyone knows Mettler for their thread, which is wonderful, but they do some other notions too...like spray adhesive.  So I am a spray adhesive girl.  I like the convenience of a spray adhesive versus pin basting whenever possible.  What can I say, I am all about that instant gratification. And with the amount of samples I crank out, the less time I have to spend pinning, the happier I am. 

This stuff has been out awhile, but I did a review on it back in 2014 on my old blog which seemed to be helpful, so here it is again with a little more input after a few more years of use.  




Specs

  • Aerosol
  • 9.6oz
  • $12.99 USD

Pros

  • Even spray distrbution
  • Spray is thick and webby, so it is visible on the fabric 
  • No absorption into the fabric (no weird wet patches or discoloration on the "right" side of the fabric
  • Strong adhesion - a little goes a long way and it stays stuck better than other sprays
  • I found it to be low odor as compared to other aerosol spray adhesives.  

 Cons

  • Strong adhesion.  Not every machine "likes" this stuff for free motion. My Bernina HATED it, and it would skip stitches.  I thought it was maybe a bad needle or bobbin.  After changing needles and rethreading, it still skipped.  But, when I pin basted or used a different spray...no issues.  After a little more troubleshooting and process of elimination, I found that the adhesive was catching the thread, and my Bernina (an old 150) didn't quite have the oomph to combat it.  Now, my Janome (Memorycraft 6500)?  No issues.  But then again, that machine is a beast. 

Conclusion
★★★★☆
So now that I have a beefier machine, this is my preferred spray adhesive now.  The pros outweigh the cons to me now, where a couple years ago the issue with skipped stitches was enough to turn me away.  Now not so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your questions, comments, criticisms, and thoughts here. I would love to hear what you think and what's under your needle!

Criticism will stay civil and constructive. Any nasty comments will be removed.