Thursday, March 1, 2018

Product Review: OLFA Quick Change 45mm Rotary Cutter

Since the advent of the rotary cutter back in "the day" there have been some uh, unique, variations on the original model.  I am not a gadget girl and I generally don't give a rip about ergonomics.  Arthritis is going to come for me someday I know, so I am unwilling to go to those models until I must.  Arthritis can suck it.

There are some real die-hards out there *cough*Mom*cough*.  Yellow basic OLFA or GTFO.  She uses the 60mm and I use the 45mm.  The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.  But one time we had this weird, pressure activated rotary cutter at the shop behind the counter that became "mine."  Secret's out, I only used it because I knew no one else would use the weird one and that way my blade stayed good and sharp and un-nicked.

But uh...it changed my stodgy ways.



Specs

  • 45mm blade
  • Rubberized grip
  • Pressure activated blade
  • Cost: $21.99
Pros
  • The blade is not engaged unless it has active, firm, downward pressure on it.  IF YOU JUMP YOUR RULER, YOU WILL NOT -I REPEAT- WILL NOT CUT YOUR FINGERS OFF.    This is important.  Quick, ask me how I know.  More appropriately, ask my still-there fingers. 
  • Changing the blade is quicker than on a regular rotary cutter
  • That no-slip grip is nice.  
Cons
  • If you do a lot of cutting like I do, then the plastic cover that is pushed upward when you cut wears out and flattens due to the repeated friction of going across your board.  At a certain point (a few years), it no longer covers the blade and there will always be a tiny piece of blade exposed to give you surprise and surprisingly annoying tiny cuts.  Quick, ask me how I know.  Not a huge con though given how long it takes for this to happen.  
Conclusion
★★★★☆
I love this rotary cutter, and haven't gone back to the regular kind at home.  I would use the 60mm if they have it - they may, I just haven't been bothered to look it up.  The long term wear and need for replacement is why I am not giving this five stars; some folks have the basic ones that have lasted for 15+ years because there isn't the issue with friction wearing the plastic down.  But other than that...this is my preferred cutter.  Very literally saved my fingers on more than one occasion! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your questions, comments, criticisms, and thoughts here. I would love to hear what you think and what's under your needle!

Criticism will stay civil and constructive. Any nasty comments will be removed.