Thursday, March 22, 2018

Product Review: Elisa's Back Porch Designs Crazy Curves Path 7" Ruler

Occasionally I like to try new shit.  And occasionally I fail at it, and try again, and fail, and try again, and fail, and have someone sit with me and show me, and fail, until I get frustrated and give up because I am #rad.

Curved seams was one of those things.  Swear to God I tried and tried and could not make my brain get it. Even sitting down with someone who was good at it, seeing it, and understanding it did not work because when I tried with them sitting right there, it went so wrong they couldn't even explain what on Earth I did wrong. 

Fast forward like five years later when my rage subsided (it's a slow burn over here), I finally got smart and watched some Youtube videos about how to do them.  This template here did the trick.


Specs

  • Clear acrylic template
  • 7', but does come in a variety of other sizes
  • Cost: $17.95 for the 7"
Pros
  • I CAN DO CURVES NOW.  
  • NO SERIOUSLY, IT WORKS
  • Very easy to see where your straight of grain should be.  
  • Durable.  I have dropped this a lot, and stepped on it a couple times.  No cracks. 
Cons
  • There is no non-slip stuff on these...so you have to be very attentive and very careful when cutting so you don't slide and warp your cut.  
  • You have to buy additional templates for other sizes.  It's a one trick pony. 
Conclusion
★★★★☆
One ding because it's a one trick pony, and lacks anything to prevent slippage.  The latter is an easy fix, though.  I LOVE using this ruler.  I never thought I could do curves, and I can now.  So...get one! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your questions, comments, criticisms, and thoughts here. I would love to hear what you think and what's under your needle!

Criticism will stay civil and constructive. Any nasty comments will be removed.