Thursday, May 3, 2018

Product Review: Phillips Fiber Art Spot On Ruler

So last weekend we did our first in-store demo of a product, and for those that missed it, here's a little peek at what we demoed, and my review of it. 

The Phillips Fiber Art Spot On Ruler


Specs

  • Small, angular, acrylic ruler
  • Designed for hexies and triangles
  • Cost: $11.00
Pros
  • Oh the shapes you can (accurately) make! I did not have to pin my project except at the required intersections where I needed to match points.  It all just FIT
Pardon my mess.  Look at the quilt.  Ooh. Ahh. 
  • Very clear markings and easy to use
  • Comes with a free pattern with the ruler, but there are several different patterns to choose from
  • Patterns are very well done, and great for visual learners.  The graphics are clear, and I used those more than the written words
Cons
  • I don't have the hugest hands in the world, but this is small enough that it was tricky to hold effectively and not have fingers in harm's way. 
  • The ruler is VERY slippy.  You definitely will want some kind of ruler grips on this thing to help with that.  A slip while cutting WILL matter here.  
  • ...Pretty much only super useful for the patterns designed for it.  I don't know that I would use it for anything else. 
Conclusion
★★★☆☆
This was a fun little tool to use and the projects are quick.  At $11 for a ruler, the price point isn't bad at all.  My only gripe is that unless you're using the patterns its designed for, it's not good for much else.  It really is a unitasker.  But if you need a quick gift to whip up, or want to give a gift, these rulers are great.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your questions, comments, criticisms, and thoughts here. I would love to hear what you think and what's under your needle!

Criticism will stay civil and constructive. Any nasty comments will be removed.