Sunday, April 15, 2018

It's been nuts.

I know, it's been quiet around here. 

It's not that I haven't been doing anything...I mean, I have, but it's largely been trying to get over this god awful funk I caught.  I GOT COCKY.  While everyone else in the office was getting the creeping crud, I made the error of saying out loud that I haven't caught it yet.  Well.  I did.  And did I.  Every time I get a cold, I have a very high chance of getting a sinus infection because I am lucky like that.  And that is exactly what happened.  I got the sinus infection from hell.  Usually with a little neti potting (gross, I know but boy it works) and ibuprofen, I can treat it on my own.  This time, no such luck...it was a doozy. My nose has finallly stopped running at inconvenient and socially embarrassing moments though.

So I spent a significant amount of time home  a few weeks ago because I couldn't kick the fever before I gave in and went to the doctor.  I hate staying home because I am one of those weirdos that has to be doing all the time.  I'LL REST WHEN I'M DEAD.  So while I was home sick, I decided I couldn't just sit there like a sniffling lump...I binge watched history documentaries, napped, and embroidered.

I have gotten like, super into embroidery.  Am I great?  No.  Do I know tons of stitches?  Ehh...in theory sure, but in application...not so much... But I do really enjoy it, and I love learning new stuff.  My stem stitch where once really shitty has gotten a lot better.  My back stitch is pretty decent too.  One you get the hang of it, there is a definite rhythm.  And it wouldn't be me if my embroideries weren't a little attitude-y.








Of course...not everyone who has tried embroidery has taken to it...


It's also been quiet because (after I got over the hideous funk) I got asked to assist with organizing and cleaning Mom's sewing room.  It is a gargantuan task, and somewhat of a challenge because she and I are on opposite ends of the organizational spectrum.  We have very, very different methodologies, and when what works for you doesn't always work for the person you are organizing for...whelp, it's tricky.  We managed though!  It's looking really good in there, and I think another weekend will do the trick.  I really hope the new forma works well for her. It's off to a good start anyway!  I should have taken before and after pictures, but I didn't think about it. 

It inspired me to tidy up mine, because it looked like a tornado went through it.  I am not the tidiest person in the world (my living room is always in a clean, but uh, "lived in," state) but I cannot stand it when my work spaces are messy.  I overwhelms me big time, and my sewing room was awful.  I bought a new bookcase, and for the first time in nearly four years I was able to unpack my seasonal fabrics and get them set out - five boxes worth!

 New storage?  Check.

 Reorganized fabric?  Check.

 Corralled scraps into the Scrap Heap of Doom/Black Hole of 2.5" strips (left)?  Check.  


Isabelle (BFF) got a Cricut and was psyched to test it out.  I benefited from this with bitchin new metallic labels.

I still have work to do.  I mean, I can't cut and I have nowhere to sit. 



Until I get this mess fixed, I can't really sew.  Nothing like motivation!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your questions, comments, criticisms, and thoughts here. I would love to hear what you think and what's under your needle!

Criticism will stay civil and constructive. Any nasty comments will be removed.