Thursday, April 19, 2018

Product Review: Hemline Water Erasable Marking Pencil

I like to embroider, so I am always on the lookout for good marking pens.  When I am marking sewing lines when I am piecing, air soluble is just fine, but for the time it takes for me to get embroideries done, water soluble is the way to go. 

So I gave these babies a try: The Water Soluble Marking Pencil by Hemline


Specs
  • Twist style marking pencils
  • 3mm
  • Blue and White options
  • Cost: $1.25 apiece, when sold in the bin and not individually packaged

Pros
  • They twist up so the "lead" is always protected
  • Blue: Highly visible
  • White: See cons
  • Inexpensive
  • Wash away cleanly

Cons

  • They are wide enough that they are not good for detail, and they are blunt
  • They deplete quickly, and the "lead" is fragile
  • White: It doesn't show up very well, and wipes off very easily.  I used it on a very deep gray background and it was only barely visible _ even pressed hard enough to snap the "lead"
  • Blue: Rubs off on your hands very easily, and takes a little persuasion to wash away (though it does ultimately wash away cleanly)


Conclusion
Blue: ★★★☆☆
White: ★☆☆☆☆
Overall: ★★☆☆☆

The white is terrible, to be honest.  I got rid of mine.  But the blue is pretty decent, though, I wish it didn't smudge so easily!  For $1.25 though, it is still a good buy.  Save this marking pencil for your less detailed embroideries, lettering, and sewing lines. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your questions, comments, criticisms, and thoughts here. I would love to hear what you think and what's under your needle!

Criticism will stay civil and constructive. Any nasty comments will be removed.