Thursday, February 15, 2018

Product Review: Quilter's Touch Machingers Free Motion Quilting Gloves

Free motion quilters are always looking for ways to make to process easier, and for those working on a domestic machine, a good tactile grip is critical.  There are tons of products out on the market,  and this is one - Machingers by Quilter's Touch


Specs

  • White gloves with grippy material starting at the fingertip and ending just past the top knuckle
  • Synthetic material
  • Sizes XS-XL
  • $8.95
Pros
  • The grippy material doesn't wear down quickly
  • Good variety of sizes...many only go from Small to Large
  • The material, despite being synthetic, is very breatheable
Cons
  • There is no grippy material on the palms anywhere.  For me, the gloves tend to slide on my palms between my skin and the quilt which is irritating over long periods of quilting...not only because of the lack of grip, but the friction makes my skin mad. 
  • The grippy areas show dirt big time being white.  We don't think of fabric as being dirty, but these gloves pick up whatever dirt there is plus skin oils plus lint and over a fairly short time the end get beige.  Gross.  
  • For me, none of the sizes fit right.  I have broad palms and short wide fingers.  The L was too tight in the palm but just right for my fingers.  The XL was perfect for my palms, but the fingers were too long.  But then again I have weird little sausage hands and I cannot fault the product for that at all.  
Conclusion
★★☆☆☆
To be honest, I only go for these in a pinch when I can't find my preferred quilting gloves, which - SPOILER ALERT/QUILT HACK - are a $3 pair of gardening gloves from Fred Meyer's.  The grippy material is all over the surface of the palm and fingers and fits snugly enough that it doesn't slide on me.  $3 compared to $8.95?  No contest.  If you tend to use your fingertips when quilting versus a flat palm, then these will be great for you.  If not, then you're better off saving the $5. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your questions, comments, criticisms, and thoughts here. I would love to hear what you think and what's under your needle!

Criticism will stay civil and constructive. Any nasty comments will be removed.